Simple. Cool. Clean. Grey. Flooring.

Simple. Cool. Clean. Grey. Flooring.
1-unit loading grey - hardWear finish

Saturday, June 20, 2015

No workaholic beverages beyond this point.


"People intoxicate themselves with work, so they won't see how they really are." - Aldous Huxley's Spandrell character (the first slacker?) in Point Counter Point

Not me. 

I think I “over-work” because I see how I really am. Yesterday, someone bid me farewell for the weekend like this: “Be good…and if you can’t be good, be busy.” She is very insightful. 

Is it possible to be unrestrained and not at all monstrous? Is being truly natural overrated or the secret path? The Ten Commandments seem to be written on all of our hearts, yet how natural is it to occasionally covet our neighbors stuff? 

How natural is it to worship marvelous things rather than the unseen? 

How natural is it to dishonor our parents as teenagers? 

How natural is it to tire of our spouses and commit adultery  at least of the heart? 

But then, how natural is it to admire the strongest restrainers of these natural impulses?

I was taught that contradictions do not exist: they were error codes directing me to check my premises. 

Premise 1: I decide what I believe in and what I want from life. 
Premise 2: Some beliefs serve us (I believe I am a force for good), and some limit / harm us (I once believed I was bad at math). 
Premise 3:  The more aligned my goals are with my deepest desires, the more effective I will be.
Premise 4 (The Kicker): I can’t escape the belief that many of my natural desires are opposed to what is good. 

I’ve heard this called The Spirit vs. the flesh. It seems that all spiritual practices are aimed at the undivided self. If anyone can explain to me how to get there without destroying "the flesh", I would love to hear it. 

So what does all this have to do with creative work with concrete?

Concrete fossilizes our intent. The day we cast is captured in the casting. Our hands must ultimately betray our hearts. The world puts its mark on it as well: the heat and water in the air, the wind, the leaves that fall in, the animals that track across…it’s all there for our grandchildren to later find. 

That’s why we put element7 in the concrete. We battle on, and lose ourselves in the fight when we are weak. 

“Work for work’s sake” gets a bad rap because it is a retreat from the harder work of meaningful relationships. At least for me it is. The side affects of this “addiction” are financial abundance for dozen of other families and mine, popularity, skills, self-esteem, and fun. Frankly though, parts of my heart get more numb every year. I just hope I can become what I am suppose to be before my clock runs out. I hope that for all of us. 

Thank you for reading. Let's get together for coffee if you have something to share.





14 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing..Amazing stuff continues the good work.
    concrete forming systems

    ReplyDelete
  2. have read many blogs in the net but have never come across such a well written blog. Good work keep it up
    plastic walls

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really a nice and helpful piece of information. I'm glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this.
    indoor tabletop water fountains

    ReplyDelete
  4. Post is very informative,It helped me with great information so I really believe you will do much better in the future.
    san diego demolition

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the fresh perpective you did on the issue. I will be back soon to check up on new posts! Thank you!
    injection mold design uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great style, it not easy job well don.
    injection mold design uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spot on with this article, I really think this website needs more attention. I'll probably be back to read more, thanks for the info.
    How to make concrete

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have got some great posts in your blog. Keep up with the good work.
    profile plastics uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice service there are just few who are providing this service great job.
    example of engineering resume

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes definitely this type of blogs are really help for people great job.
    driveway seal coating

    ReplyDelete
  11. Y es this like article very helpful for the getting new information about the training and i really appreciate it.
    Strep Throat

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow i love t hat SO much... can i cut and paste it into my blog?? but give u credit, of course???
    Building burn demo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey,

    Thanks for sharing.

    We Offers the best Roofing Services in Guelph, Ontario Canada. Check our deals;

    Guelph Roofing Company | Roof Installation Guelph | Roof Repair Guelph | Roof Replacement Guelph

    Visit our website for free consultation.

    ReplyDelete